SVRA Expands Spec Miata Eligibility By: Mazda
- First Gen 1.8L Cars Now Eligible to Compete – First Race Weekend April 28-30 -
IRVINE, Calif. (April 14, 2017)
– Due to racer interest, the previously announced addition of early first generation Spec Miatas has been expanded to include all first-gen cars, both the early 1.6 liter models, and the later 1.8 liter cars. The first weekend for the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) 'Mazda Miata Heritage Cup' will be April 28-30 at Auto Club Speedway, in Fontana, California.
'Spec Miata has reached yet another milestone with our recent inclusion into the world of vintage racing. This gives our racers access to additional race weekends and the unique experience that only the SVRA provides. Expanding eligibility to include the 1.8 liter cars was in response to racer interest,' noted David Cook, business development manager, Mazda Motorsports.
For Mazda racers, competing in the inaugural Mazda Miata Heritage Cup races during the SVRA Auto Club Speedway weekend on April 28-30, there may be no more interesting weekend this year. For a $295 entry fee a racer will receive:
• A two-day race weekend plus a test day for a total of approximately two hours of contact-free on-track time (vintage racing is not meant to be a contact sport.
• Dinner for two with the SVRA paddock on Saturday night.
• A special Mazda contingency program where every entry earns a $250 participation bonus.
• A fun weekend spent with great people and many of the greatest race cars in history.
Information on all of Mazda Motorsports can be found online at www.mazdamotorsports.com.
About Mazda Motorsports:
Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the Global MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Mazda is also the title sponsor of the renowned Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif. Follow all of the latest news atMazdaMotorsports.com, @MazdaRacing on Twitter, and MazdaMotorsports on Instagram and Facebook.
Trending NewsHyundai Marks The 3-Millionth Elantra Sold In America By Honoring A Local Hero In HoustonMilwaukee Students Meet Asimo After Wining Honda Robotics ContestEdwards And Tomczyk Race The No. 24 BMW M6 To A Thrilling Victory At Laguna SecaSir David Adjaye Elite Panel Of Judges For Lexus Design Award 2018; Submissions Remain Open Through October 8Cadillac Embarks On Its First-Ever Hands-Free Drive With Super Cruise
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through more than 600 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center atInsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.