RM Auctions Announces Consignment of Ex-Works Ferrari 340/375 MM For Its Concorso D'Eleganza Villa D'Este Auction By: RM Auction
• Wonderful and historically significant Ferrari 340/375 MM to be offered at RM's exclusive evening sale on the banks of Lake Como, Italy, 25th May
• Chassis 0320AM boasts unsurpassed provenance with Le Mans history and drivers, including world champions Hawthorn, Farina, and Ascari
• Winner of the Pescara 12 Hours, piloted by Hawthorn and Maglioli
• The car established a never broken, record setting pace in the Carrera Panamericana in the hands of Maglioli
• Chassis 0320AM on preview at RM Auctions' stand during Retromobile, 6 – 10 February in Paris, France
London (6 February 2013)
– RM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, has chosen the world-famous Retromobile exhibition in Paris to announce the consignment of one of the most important racing Ferraris of all time. The 1953 Ferrari 340/375 MM Pinin Farina Berlinetta 'Competizione', chassis 0320AM, will be offered for sale at RM's exclusive auction during the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este weekend in Cernobbio, Italy, on the 25th May, and it is available for enthusiasts to preview at this week's Retromobile show, kicking off today and continuing through until 10th February.
All racing Ferraris are special, but only very few boast of the kind of blue-chip provenance that chassis 0320AM achieved during its racing career. One of three works cars produced in 1953, 0320AM was driven in period by no less than three World Champion drivers: Alberto Ascari, Dr. Farina, and Mike Hawthorn. It was famously driven by Hawthorn and Nino Farina in the 1953 Le Mans 24 Hours, but it was disqualified from a strong 2nd place for the rather minor misdemeanour of taking on brake fluid during the race. The car is presented for sale today in the same livery it sported during that historic race.
Aside from Le Mans, 0320AM was also driven in the Spa 24 Hours, in the hands of legends Alberto Ascari and Villoresi; the Pescara 12 Hours, where Hawthorn and Maglioli piloted it to overall victory; and at the Circuit of Guadeloupe, where Maglioli once again secured a victory. It also enjoyed an astonishing performance in the Carrera Panamericana, where, on the last stage, Maglioli famously averaged 138 mph for 223 miles, finishing 6th overall and establishing a public road stage record speed never broken anywhere in the world since!
After a period of long-term ownership in the U.S.A. within a well-known collection, the car passed into the ownership of British industrialist and world-famous collector Sir Anthony Bamford, before being purchased by its current owner in 2004. Presented in exceptional restored condition, 0320AM is ready to be shown or driven at all of the world's leading collector car events.
Max Girardo, Managing Director, RM Auctions Europe, says, 'Chassis number 0320AM presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for serious collectors to acquire one of the world's most significant racing Ferraris. Genuine works Ferraris with a competition history such as this are very rare to the market, and we are truly delighted to be able to offer it at our most prestigious European sale.'
Trending NewsVolkswagen Takes Bold Decision To Put I.D. Buzz Electric Concept Car Into ProductionTo Celebrate The All-New Eclipse Cross CUV, Mitsubishi Motors Secures Prime Position In The 'Path Of Totality'Volvo Cars Creates World's First Panoramic Moonroof Eclipse Viewer For All-New 2018 XC60Nissan Readies Next-Generation Leaf For First Public Displays During 2017 National Drive Electric WeekGenesis And Artcenter College Of Design Partner On Vision 2025 Concept Project
Enthusiasts interested in inspecting 0320AM at this week's Retromobile show in Paris will find the RM exhibit in Hall 3, Stand D30, at the Porte de Versailles. In addition to previewing the forthcoming Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este sale, RM car specialists will be on hand at Retromobile to offer collectors a resource for auction and restoration services. The estimate for 0320AM is available upon request to interested bidders.
For further information on RM's sale at the celebrated Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este or to discuss limited consignment opportunities, please contact RM's London Office at +44 (0) 20 7851 7070 or visit rmauctions.com.
About RM Auctions
RM Auctions is the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With over three decades of experience in the collector car industry, RM's vertically integrated range of services, from restoration to private treaty sales, auctions, estate planning, and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM proudly holds five of the top ten all-time records for the most expensive motor cars sold at auction. RM's restoration division has achieved unprecedented accolades, earning Best of Show honours at the world's top concours events, including four Best of Shows at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. For further information, please visit rmauctions.com, find us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @rmauctions.
**Photo caption: 1953 Ferrari 340/375 MM Pinin Farina Berlinetta 'Competizione', chassis 0320AM (credit: Tim Scott Fluid Images © 2013 courtesy RM Auctions)