|Legendary Tucker 48 Joins RM'S Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Sale|
| • Just announced: RM Auctions secures rare Tucker 48, previously owned by film legend George Lucas, for its Amelia Island, Florida sale, March 9
• The official auction of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, single-day sale features a superb roster of more than 80 blue-chip collector cars
• Additional sale highlights include a 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Vignale Berlinetta, a 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster and a 1929 Isotta Fraschini 8A Convertible Sedan
• Digital catalogue now available online at rmauctions.com
BLENHEIM, Ontario (February 14, 2013) – As anticipation builds for RM's annual Amelia Island sale, the official auction house of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance is delighted to announce the consignment of a legendary 1948 Tucker to its March 9 event. Widely regarded as one of the most advanced, early, post-war automobiles ever built, the rare and highly sought-after Tucker joins a magnificent roster of more than 80 blue-chip automobiles hand-selected for the RM sale, including no less than eight examples with pre-sale estimates exceeding $1,000,000.
Delivered new on August 11, 1948, the Tucker 48 on offer, serial number 1003, was the third of just 51 examples built and the first to feature the valance panel between the body and front bumper. Its rarity is further elevated by its desirable color; of the six factory colors available, 1003 is one of only 12 originally painted Maroon. Well-documented from new, it boasts a superb provenance and ownership history, having passed through the hands of numerous respected collectors, including the late Bill Pettit. In the late-1980s, it was purchased by none other than prominent filmmaker George Lucas, the visionary imagination behind Star Wars and other box office hits. Lucas took a special interest in Tuckers and was executive producer of Francis Ford Coppola's 1988 film Tucker: The Man and His Dream. The film revived modern interest in the Tucker and has become something of a cult classic among automobile enthusiasts. Since coming into the care of its current owners, 1003 has been extensively and authentically restored by marque experts, with special attention paid to its drivability and reliability. It is estimated to fetch between $1,500,000 and $1,900,000 when it crosses RM's Amelia Island auction podium next month.
'The Tucker Torpedo, as it was often called, was a paragon of advanced engineering and safety features with radical, futuristic styling. Arguably, the most important post-war American collectible automobile, Tuckers consistently attract strong interest whenever they come to market,' says Don Rose, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. 'The example on offer at our Amelia Island sale, 1003, is truly among the best of the best—not only is it a beautiful automobile in terms of its presentation, but it is fully and robustly functional, ready to take to the road. It's a perfect fit for our Amelia Island auction, which, along with the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, is dedicated to celebrating great and iconic automotive styling.'
The Tucker will be joined center stage at RM's Amelia Island sale by an exceptional roster of other important and historic automobiles, including:
o a 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Vignale Berlinetta 'Tuboscocca', chassis 0168ED, one of only six 225S competition berlinettas built and boasting a superb racing history (Estimate: $1,000,000–$1,400,000);
o a beautifully restored 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster, chassis 198.042-8500286, finished in the highly desirable color combination of metallic silver-blue with a tan leather interior and featuring Rudge knock-off wheels, fitted luggage, and a factory hardtop (Estimate: $800,000–$1,000,000);
o a freshly restored 1929 Isotta Fraschini 8A Convertible Sedan, chassis 1571, displayed at the 1928 New York Auto Salon and is the only Floyd-Derham body on an Isotta Fraschini chassis (Estimate: $550,000–$650,000); and,
o an outstanding 1911 Lozier Model 51 Seven-Passenger Touring, chassis 3574, one of the mightiest Brass Era touring cars and offered from the respected collection of Ken Pearson (Estimate: $400,000–$600,000).
For further information on RM's Amelia Island sale or to view the digital catalogue, please visit rmauctions.com or call +1 519 352 4575. For further information on the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, please visit www.ameliaconcours.org or call +1 904 636 0027.
Event Details – RM Auctions Amelia Island
• Sale date: March 9, 2013; auction commences at 11 a.m. EST|
• Preview dates: March 7–8, 2013; preview commences at 10 a.m. EST on both days
• Location: The Ritz-Carlton, 4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Amelia Island, Florida, 32034
• Admission: Admission to the auction is limited to registered bidders. Bidder registration is $200 US and includes an official catalogue and admission for two to the preview and auction.
For those unable to attend the event in person, Internet, absentee, and telephone bidding options are available, and the auction will stream live at rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the event. About RM Auctions RM Auctions is the world's largest auction house for antique automobiles. With over three decades of experience in the collector car industry, RM's vertically integrated range of services, from restoration to private treaty sales, auctions, estate planning, and financial services, coupled with an expert team of car specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM proudly holds five of the top ten all-time records for the most expensive motor cars sold at auction. RM's restoration division has achieved unprecedented accolades, earning Best of Show honors at the world's top concours events, including the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. For further information, visit rmauctions.com, find us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @rmauctions. About The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Now in its second decade, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance is among the top automotive events in the world. Always held the second full weekend in March, 'The Amelia' draws over 300 rare vehicles from collections around the world to The Golf Club of Amelia Island and The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, for a celebration of the automobile like no other. Since 1996, the show's foundation has donated over $2 million to Community Hospice of Northeast Florida, Inc. and other charities on Florida's First Coast. The 18th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance is scheduled for March 8–10, 2013. For more information, visit www.ameliaconcours.org or call 904-636-0027. **Photo captions: 1948 Tucker 48 (credit: Pawel Litwinski © 2013 courtesy RM Auctions)
|FRENCH HISTORY TAKES CENTRE STAGE AT RM'S PARIS COLLECTOR CAR AUCTION AT PLACE VAUBAN• RM Auctions returns to the stunning Place Vauban for its second annual collector car sale in Paris, 4 February, 2015|
• Held during the world-famous Retromobile week, the multi-million euro sale features a magnificent selection of 60 blue-chip motor cars
• Early highlights led by two automobiles with wonderful French provenance, a 1935 Delahaye 135 S and 1934 Lancia Belna Eclipse
• Full event details available at www.rmauctions.com
LONDON (November 25, 2014) – RM Auctions, the worl....
|RM Auctions to Sell Historic Daytona 24 Hour-Winning Jaguar XJR-9 at Amelia Island• RM Auctions secures Works Jaguar XJR-9 for its Amelia Island, Florida sale, March 14, 2015|
• The sole remaining original of only two purpose-built IMSA specification XJR-9s constructed, chassis 388 enjoyed huge record of success through 1988, 1989 and 1990
• 2015 marks 25th anniversary of this actual car's historic 1990 Daytona 24 hour victory in the hands of Jones/Lammers/Wallace
• XJR-9 leads a handpicked selection of 80 automobiles at RM's Amelia Island sale, the official auction of the ....
|PRIZED PAUL AND CHRIS ANDREWS COLLECTION SET FOR RM'S AUCTION PODIUM• RM Auctions presents the coveted Paul and Chris Andrews Collection, April 30 – May 2, 2015 in Fort Worth, Texas|
• Sale features an unprecedented selection of motor cars and memorabilia, meticulously assembled over many years by the respected father and son team
• Further information will be available at www.rmauctions.com in early 2015
BLENHEIM, Ontario (November 20, 2014) – Continuing its reputation as the industry leader for private collection sales, RM Auctions will lift the gav....
|Pinehurst Concours Announces Chief Judge for 2015VILLAGE OF PINEHURST, N.C. (Nov. 20, 2014) – Internationally-renowned concours judge Nigel Matthews has been named chief judge of the 2015 Pinehurst Concours d'Elegance, a vintage car showcase the first Saturday in May in the North Carolina Sandhills, event president Jay Howard announced Thursday.|
In addition to Matthews being named chief judge, the Pinehurst Concours has unveiled its 12 collector classes for the judged competition to be staged on the fairways of Pinehurst Resort on Ma....
|ONE-OF-A-KIND FORD 'SHORTY' MUSTANG OFFERED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 47 YEARS AT AUCTIONS AMERICA'S FORT LAUDERDALE SALE• Auctions America kicks off its 2015 collector car calendar, March 27-29 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
• Regarded as South Florida's premier collector car auction, the multi-day sale is expected to feature nearly 500 cars spanning all segments of the collector car market
• Early entries led by a one-off 1964½ Ford Mustang III 'Shorty' Factory Prototype, one of few surviving 'Total Performance'-era Ford factory prototypes
• Frequently updated list of entries available online at auctionsamer....