Vanderbilt Cup Centennial at the Miller Meet, July 6-7, 2012
blog comments powered by Disqus
| 2012 Miller Meet to Commemorate 1912 Historic Races
In recognition of the International Vanderbilt Cup and Grand Prize Races which were held here in Milwaukee in 1912, Vanderbilt Cup and Grand Prize race cars will be featured at the Millers at Milwaukee Meet July 6-7, 2012. Vanderbilt Cup era cars are invited to participate in the vintage Indy Car event.
The history of the famous Vanderbilt Cup races begins on Long Island in 1904 as the 'brainchild' of its major sponsor, William K. Vanderbilt, Jr., who was an early automobile enthusiast and successful race driver. The Vanderbilt Cup races, under the sanction of the Automobile Association of America (AAA), the name of which was later changed to American Automobile Association, were run on rural roads and city streets in Nassau county, New York, through 1910. Meanwhile, a rival organization, the Automobile Club of America (ACA), which feuded with the AAA, became the U.S. representative of the Automobile Club de France, which sanctioned the grand Prix races. As an aside, the AAA was mainly an automobile manufacturer's association, whereas the ACA was organized by car enthusiasts, particularly racing enthusiasts.
The ACA organized the first International Grand Prix race in America and the race was awarded to Savannah, Georgia in 1908. The second American GP race in 1910 was also held in Savannah, under the auspices of the ACA. This Grand Prize series competed with the Banderbilt Cup for prestige, with some considering that the Grand Prize races soon overshadowed the Vanderbilt Cup races in importance and prestige. In 1911, the Vanderbilt Cup race moved to Savannah, where, for the first time, both the Vanderbilt Cup and the Grand Prize races were conducted as part of one race program.