Mercedes-Benz introduced its first totally new automotive design following World War II at the 1951 Frankfurt Auto Show. The 300 Series was positioned as the company's flagship, while the 220 was intended to replace the pre-war 170. The 300 was initially offered as a sedan, and within a few months, the 300 S Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters debuted at the Paris Auto Show.
This 300 S Roadster is one of only 141 built throughout the model's four year run. Part of the low-production figures was the extreme price, costing more than the 300 SL and almost twice the price of a 1954 Cadillac.
This 300 S Roadster is believed to have first been sold to a New York resident in 1954. At some point in the 1960s, the car was traded to Concourse Motors in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The owner of the company, bill Wuesthoff, retained the car as his preferred driver for about 35 years. In the late 1980s, the car was given a no-expense-spared, ground-up cosmetic and mechanical restoration.
In 1999, the car was offered for sale. In 2005, the car was purchased by its current owner. The car is powered by a single overhead cam six-cylinder engine fitted with Triple Solex Downdraft carburetors. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2010, this Mercedes-Benz was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $242,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.