In 1922, Henry and Wilford Leland's Lincoln Motor Company was purchased by the Ford Motor Company. The LeLands had gone into business in 1917 building Liberty airplane engines. When the war ended they eventually switched to luxury automobile production but financial calamity forced the sale to Ford.
Edsel Ford took the helm with an eye towards upgrading Lincoln styling. To that end he enlisted the finest American coachbuilders to produce stylish new bodies for the company. Edsel had always been influenced by European automobile styling. He began working with the designer E.T. Gregorie, Jr. to bring his ideas into fruition.
Lincoln introduced the Zephyr line as a 1936 model, featuring an extremely modern, aerodynamic design with a low, raked windshield and integrated fenders. It was positioned to bridge the gap between the Ford and the exclusive Lincoln K series. It successfully reignited Lincoln sales accounting for 80% of vehicles sold in its first year.
The greatest restoration challenge for this particular car was to implement hand controls without changing the car from rear to front wheel drive or from manual to automatic transmission. Body changes were extensive, but the exterior still appears as original.