Although MG was a relatively unknown marque in the United States until after World War II, Morris Garages was one of the primary auto manufacturers in England in the first half of the twentieth century. They produced a full line of automobiles, generally of the light variety.
MG got its name from 'Morris Garages,' a dealer of Morris cars in England which began producing its own customized versions using the designs of Cecil Kimber, the general manager. The first MG-badged cars appeared in 1923 with custom two-seater touring bodies. The breakthrough car for the company was the 1928 Midget and at this point, MG became a separate company. It subsequently passed through a series of owners including British Motors, Rover, BMW and currently produces cars in China under a Chinese owner.
The P Midget was introduced in 1934 representing another advancement in MG's line of sports cars dating back to the 1928 M. It featured an improved overhead camshaft, crossflow 847 cc 4-cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors producing 36 horsepower. It rode on an 87-inch wheelbase chassis with a 4-speed non-synchromesh transmission. However, most of the improvements were in styling and creature comforts. The interior was widened and the instrument panel was in burled sequoia. Trafficators (British for turn signals) and a central lubrication system were included. The PA roadster cost 222 pounds sterling in 1935 and 2,000 were built.
This example underwent a meticulous 7-year restoration by a nationally recognized MG expert to original specifications. The duotone Ulster/Dublin Green with Apple Green interior is so subtle that the car almost appears to be monotone.Also photographed at :