The New Phantom was launched in May of 1925, and would later become known as the Phantom I. It brought with it a new and more modern engine, yet retained a chassis similar to that of the Silver Ghost. The same was true for the transmission, with the old cone-type clutch replaced by a new single dry plate clutch. In September of 1929, Rolls-Royce announced that the New Phantom chassis would no longer be offered. It was replaced with the Phantom II, which made its debut at the Olympia Motor Show. It had a more refined, updated chassis and an improved engine, mounted in unit with the transmission. There were hydraulic shocks and the use of underslung semi-elliptic springs for both front and rear axles. The frame was lower and gave the vehicle a reduction in ride height.
Production of the Phantom II was brief, lasting from 1929 to 1935 with approximately 1,767 examples produced.
This Phantom II roadster has a wooden body executed by W.B. Carter Coach and Boat Builders of Cambridgeshire, England. It features solid wood construction using dowel-and-peg joinery throughout, with the sole exception of the hood, which utilizes wood veneer over steel panels, to protect it from engine heat. The interior is leather.
James C. Leake imported this car to the United States, and later sold it in 1982 to Millard Newman. The car was later sold to Mr. Lutgert before coming into the ownership of the current owners in 2005.
In 2009, this Phantom II Boat Tail Skiff was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $225,000-$275,000. The lot failed to sell after achieving a high bid of $170,000.
In 2010, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Pebble Beach Auction presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $350,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $198,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :