Alfa Romeo derives its name from a combination of the ALFA Company and Nicola Romeo. Romeo acquired the ALFA Company (Lombard Cars Inc) in 1915. Their early reputation as builders of solid thoroughbred performers led to postwar expansion in production. Early production examples include wonderful sports and racing machines, among them, the 8C 2300.
The superb 2300cc engine is the handiwork of Vittorio Jano, who joined Alfa Romeo from Fiat in 1923. The straight eight-cylinder design uses two identical four-cylinder blocks, with a dry sump oiling system. The two-piece crankshaft rides on ten bearings and has camshaft and supercharger drives located mid-block. It produces 142 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and feeds a four-speed gearbox. There are large finned drum brakes at each corner.
This example began life as a Touring-bodied LeMans racer. It finished third in 1933, driven by Brian Lewis & Rose-Richards. Afterwards, it was shipped to Italy and transformed by Viotti to an elegant coupe. This is the only 8C 2300 Alfa with Viotti coachwork. The car has a documented history, uses all the original parts, chassis and spectacular Viotta coachwork.