This Alfa Romeo was first displayed at the 1932 London Motor show and sold to Alfred (Alfie) Rose, the son of the founder of Roses of Gainsborough, the well known engineers.
The Roses of Gainsborough were an extremely successful engineering company who, amongst other things, were the first to develop machinery to mass produce cigarettes and who were, early in the 20th Century, producing high quality motor cars - the Rose National - in limited numbers.
'Alfie' Rose commissioned the Carlton Carriage Co. to build a drophead coupe body. Alfie used the car extensively during the 1930s touring France and Italy with it and doing the odd amateur hill climbs and sprints. The car was laid up in the garage at his country house and sadly, the engine suffered severe frost damage in the cold snap in 1947. It was then sold to the Goslings Garage for 85 British pounds. From the 1950s through the 1970s, it was purchased several times and each time it remained unused until purchased by the current owner in the 1970s.
The remains of the car were restored by Paul Jayne as a short chassis spyder in the 1990s, using the engine and gearbox from another short chassis spyder that had been crashed in Italy in the 1940s.
It competed in the 2009 8C Alfa rally in Tuscany.Also photographed at :