This 1929 Duesenberg Model J Clear Vision Sedan has coachwork courtesy of Murphy, Inc., of Pasadena California. It was outfitted with a 420 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine capable of producing nearly 270 horsepower. Power was sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed manual transmission while vacuum-assisted four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes provided ample stopping power.
The Model J was an exquisite car with a price tag that matched. The rolling chassis would set the buyer back nearly $9000 and a completed versions approaching $20,000. Though this may not seem like a lot in modern times, in 1928 the average car cost $500. In other words, the rolling chassis alone was about 17 times more expense than the typical car.
Each Model J was made specifically for its customers. Murphy bodied many of the Model J's including this one. The 'clear vision' term derived its name from its slim windshield pillars. This not only gave the driver better visibility and eliminated blind spots, it gave the car a sporty appeal.
This car was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auctions in Amelia Island and later brought to the 2009 Gooding & Company in Scottsdale, Arizona. At Gooding, the car was estimated to sell for $900,000 - $1,300,000.
On September 1st of 1929, a Clear Vision Sedan was delivered to law partners Arnold Lackersby and Noyes Avery of Grand Rapids, Michigan. The next owner, as recorded by the 1982 ACD Certification, was Dr. Woods who purchased the car in 1931 from Duesenberg's Michigan Avenue Showroom in Chicago.
The cars next caretaker may have been R.S. Pruitt of Chicago, Duesenberg's vice president. It was traded in 1935 to the Chicago Factory Branch where he took possession of J297. The car then went through four Illinois owners before being sold in 1953 to Dudley Waters of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Mr. Waters sold the Clear Vision to Dr. Sidney N. Buka of Denver, Colorado. It was retained by Mr. Buka until around 1982, at which time it came into the possession of Paul Lapidus, a resident of New York City. It later returned to Indiana where it joined the collection of Joe Folladori. He kept it until June of 1991, at which time the car joined the Imperial Palace Collection in Las Vegas.
While in the Imperial Palace Collection, the car was treated to a restoration. Upon completion, it was featured by Bob McEwan in Olds Car Weekly. In 1999, the car was purchased by Dean Kruse as part of a major deal including numerous other cars. Shortly thereafter, it was purchased by a renowned classic car collector. It was sold in 2006 to its current owner.
In 2009, the car was purchased at the Gooding & Company Auction for the sum of $836,000 including buyer's premium.
In 2011, the car returned to auction, this time in Scottsdale, Arizona presented by RM Auction. The car was estimated to sell for $600,000 - $800,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $742,500 including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :