The Austin-Healey 100-4 was in production from 1953 to 1956. The '100' designation originated with Donald Healey in recognition of the car's ability to reach 100 mph at 4,200 RPM; the '4' referred to the car's four cylinders. The BN-1 series was built from May 1953 until mid-1955.
In 1953 a BN-1 was tested by the British magazine The Motor and achieved a top speed of 106 mph. It could accelerate from 0-60 mph in 11.2 seconds.