When the Henry Ford Company failed, Henry M. Leland of Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing Company persuaded Henry Ford's remaining partners to continue the automobile business. On August 22nd of 1902, this new enterprise was renamed the Cadillac Automobile Company in honor of Leland's distant ancestor and founder of Detroit, explorer, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. The early Cadillac's used Leland's proven 1-cylinder engine.
One of Cadillac's biggest selling point was precision manufacturing and reliability based on winning the British Dewar Trophy for the most important advancement of the year in the automobile industry. General Motors acquired the company in 1909. Cadillac's introduction of V12 and V16 powered cars in 1930 kicked off the 'cylinder wars' among the American luxury makers leading Packard to introduce their line of Twelves.
The V16 Series 90 was Cadillac's top-of-the-line car until production ceased in 1940. They rode on a 154-inch wheelbase and powered by a 452 cubic-inch engine offering 185 horsepower. The bodies featured GM's all-steel Turrent Top with Vee windshields. Only 52 were produced in 1936, all built to order.
The current owner acquired the car in 1995 in good original condition. A full restoration was completed over the next three years. It is finished in its original tunis blue color with taupe interior in leather, Bedford cord and broadcloth. This town car, initially priced at $7,250, is the only remaining of eleven built in this body style over the four year production life of the 90 series.Also photographed at :