This 1932 Bugatti Type 55 Roadster is chassis number 55201 and engine number 1. It is the prototype Type 55 car and the only example to have louvers on the top of the bonnet. The first owner was Duc de la Tremoille who took possession of the car in October 1931 after the Paris Salon. Later in the cars life, it was given Figoni-style fenders and a removable tonneau.
In 1951, the car was imported from France to the United States by Otto Zipper. Recorded owners include Odabashian, Dr. R. Vann and Mrs. Bowers. In 1960, Edsel Pfabe purchased the car from Mrs. Bowers for the sum of $1,200. At this point in the cars history, it was not running, and was partially assembled and may have even been without its coachwork.
In June of 1963, the car was sold to Dr. Peter and Susan Williamson, and the ongoing restoration was continued. A re-creation of the Jean Bugatti Roadster body was made for the car, which it still wears today. The restoration was completed around 1964 and finished in cream with black fenders and body accents, a red coach-line and a brown leather interior. The car rides on eight-spoke alloy wheels with integral brake drums, Marchal headlights and a raked folding windshield.
This is the first Type 55 built, one of only 38 Type 55s produced, has its original engine and chassis, and one of the most coveted prewar sports cars. In 2008, this Type 55 Roadster was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $1,400,000 - $2,100,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for $$1,760,000, including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :