Based upon the race-winning W194, the new coupe, W198, was the first gasoline-powered car to be fitted with a new direct fuel injection system, making it more powerful than its race-bred, normally aspirated predecessor. This car is one of the final Gullwings to leave Stuttgart in 1957, the last year of production, and it has had only two owners during its lifetime.
With a top speed of 130-155 mph, the 300SL was one of the fastest vehicles of the 1950s. Its performance, design, reputation, and futuristic 'Gullwing' doors were all factors in the success of the vehicle. The 'SL' represented 'Sport Leicht' or 'Sport Light.'
An American, Max Hoffman, is partly responsible for the mass-production of the 300SL. He urged Mercedes-Benz to create the vehicle for the American market. In 1954, the vehicle was officially presented to the world at the New York Auto Show.
This car was acquired in excellent original condition with approximately 33,000 miles on it. The serial number indicates it is one of the last 300 SLs produced. The car was purchased new by Bernard Berman, of Allentown, PA, who kept the car his entire life.
The current owners commissioned a frame-off restoration in 2011, maintaining the original colors. The car retains its original rear luggage and Rudge wheels.Also photographed at :