This 1930 DuPont Model G Four-Passenger Le Mans Speedster with chassis number G-934 is one of the two that were shown in New York. It was shipped on December 21st of 1929 and displayed at the January 1930 New York Auto Show and later in Boston. Its interior was black leather and had a Burbank cloth top and black exterior with black wheels. It was sent to Miranda who sold it to Mr. Gould Shaw of Newton Centre, Massachusetts. Around 6,000 to 7,000 miles were put on the vehicle in Europe. The car's second owner was George Barker of Washington, DC who retained the car for eight years and even entered it in the 1946 Glidden Tour revival. The vehicle's next owner was Frank L. Dunno f Martinsburg, Virginia in the early 1950s. Sometime in the future it was acquired by William Swigart, Jr.
It has been treated to a full restoration which was performed a number of years ago. The paint has lost some of its luster and glow and there are some scratches and dings throughout. The wire wheels are painted red and there are dual side-mounted spares. The cycle fenders are removable and there are doors only on the passenger side. The interior is finished in red leather and there is a Waltham 8-day clock, a Waltham 100 mph Speedometer, a Weston ammeter, Stewart tachometer and duPont-logo gauges for fuel, temperature and oil pressure.
This duPont Speedster was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $400,000 - $600,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for a high bid of $704,000 and was one of the highlights of the auction.
It is powered by an L-head eight-cylinder engine that displaces 322 cubic-inches and produces 125 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. The 125-inch wheelbase is held in place by a solid front axle and a live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs in both front and rear.