One of the most unusual automobiles built in Cleveland was this Owen Magnetic. Production began in New York in 1915 and shifted to Cleveland from 1916-1919 and concluded in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania in 1920-21.
The motor is a conventional in-line six-cylinder motor that turned a generator and, in turn, an electric motor. A variety of speeds were available by turning the control wheel mounted on the steering wheel. The Owen Magnetic was marketed as 'The Car with a Thousand Speeds.'
Only 700 total cars were built between 1916 and 1922; this is one of four known to exist today.