The Jaguar Mark V introduced a number of firsts for the Coventry-based manufacturer, including hydraulic brakes, disc wheels made of pressed steel and the independent front suspension setup. They utilized a ball-join mechanism in the new front suspension, a first for any mass-produced automobile and one that was eventually widely replicated.
Just a year after the debut of the model, a drop head coupe version was put into production. Only 977 examples of the open-air Mark V were constructed before the model was phased out in late 1951.
This 3.5 Liter Drop Head Coupe wears an older restoration. It was completed on January 16th of 1950 and is believed to be the eight left-hand-drive Mark V Drop Head Coupe equipped with the 3.5-liter engine. It was dispatched for Hornburg Jaguar in Los Angeles on February 1st and sold new by International Motors of Hollywood, California, to actor Robert Mitchum.
By 1981, this car belonged to Lt. Colonel John P. Kelly, who was ten in the process of restoring it. The exterior is finished in black and there are whitewall tires, and polished burr walnut interior.
The 3485cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine has two Sidedraft SU carburetors and offers 125 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by Gooding & Company. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $125,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $88,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.