The 6200 pound Rolls-Royce Phantom III was driven by a 7.3-liter twelve-cylinder engine producing 160 horsepower, making it capable of 16-second 0-60 mph dashes. W.A. 'Roy' Robotham was responsible for the decision to build the twelve-cylinder PIII after visiting Detroit and being impressed by the multiplicity of cylinders Cadillac, Packard, and others were making at the time. Sir Henry Royce began development on the engine, but died in 1933 before work was completed. Despite its complexity and ultimate expense to manufacture, his team continued work and brought it to production. Robotham was also impressed with GM's independent front suspension design by Maurice Olley, who had formerly been supervising engineer of Rolls-Royce of America. Rights to the GM suspension design were acquired and adapted by Rolls engineers to the new car. The first Phantom III made its debut in 1936.
This vehicle is chassis number SAZ174. It is a 1936 Phantom III Rolls-Royce Drophead Coupe wearing coachwork by Freestone and Webb, and the only one of this body style by them in 1936. Some of the unusual features include a blue glass windshield visor, no side-mount spare tires but is fitted with a rear continental type spare tire and Marchal headlights. The engine is a V-12 (7,338cc / 448 cubic-inch) with 180 horsepower. Only 727 examples of the Phantom III were produced by Rolls-Royce between 1936 and 1939.
This car came to the United States in 1956 and the current owner's father purchased it in 1962. The car has remained in the family since then. A preservation restoration was completed by The Motorcar Company of Staunton, VA in 2010.Also photographed at :