The first Amilcar was produced in 1921 with a four-cylinder engine and door-less, two-seater torpedo bodies. The brand offered increasingly sporty cars and entered automobile racing in the mid-1920s with a group of supercharged dual overhead cam six-cylinder cars. In the late 1920s, the line was expanded further with the introduction of a light touring car. The company merged with Hotchkiss in 1937 but stopped production in 1939 with the outbreak of war. It never resumed production.
The Pegase Grand Prix was introduced as a 'competition voiture' at the 1936 Paris Auto Show. It was powered by a Baby Lago Talbot dual overhead cam 2.7 liter 4-cylidner Delahaye 'Grillot' designed engine of which only eight were built. Only four Pegase Grand Prixs were built, two of which are roadsters. The cars were fitted with Delahaye 135M four-speed transmissions, running gear and hydraulic brakes due to the strong influence Delahaye exerted over the firm in its last days.
This Pegase Grand Prix Roadster, the only remaining example of the four cars built, has a George Hamm designed bodywork that was fitted for Figoni & Falaschi of Paris. In 1998, the car was given a full restoration.Also photographed at :