Charles W. Nash, the co-founder of the Buick Motor Company, purchased the Kenosha, Wisconsin based company Thomas B. Jeffrey, and renamed it in 1917 to Nash Motors. Within a short amount of time, he built the company into one of the foremost impendent carmakers with a line of vehicles marketed towards America's middle class.
For 1948, the top-of-the-line Nash Automobile was the Ambassador. There were very few examples of the convertible sold, as priorities at the time were with the closed cars. Only 1000 examples were ever created and few have survived in modern times.
This 1948 Nash Ambassador Convertible was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held in Meadow Brook. The car was estimated to sell between $50,000 - $60,000. It is powered by a 235 cubic-inch overhead valve six-cylinder engine capable of producing over 110 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. It is finished in the correct shade of Canterbury Gray with a maroon leather interior and a black canvas top. It is in original condition and has never been restored. The car has been well taken care-of during its life; it has been treated to a complete engine overhaul, new brakes, new exhaust system, new windshield, new whitewall tires, and a new trunk-linter. There is an upgraded AM/FM radio with the original foot controls used to change the station.
At auction, bidding peaked at just over $30,000. There was a reserve on the vehicle, meaning the owner did not have to sell the car if they felt the bid was too low. Apparently, they were happy with the high bid of $34,100 and sold the car. The buyer of this car got a bargain.