Henry and Wilford LeLand's Lincoln Motor Company began producing Liberty airplane engines in 1917. Leland decided to enter the automobile production business after the contract for the Liberty engines were fulfilled. The first cars were produced in 1920 but by 1922, after facing financial difficulties, Lincoln was acquired by the Ford Motor Company. Edsel Ford took the helm and saw the need to upgrade the styling of the Lincoln product line. He enlisted the finest American coachbuilders to produce new stylish bodies for the company.
By 1930 Lincoln was well established as a premier luxury automobile manufacturer. They exhibited many special custom bodied cars at the major auto shows. Lincoln exhibited at the 1930 Automobile Salon Show in New York City and Chicago. On the stand was a line of custom bodied cars including a Locke and Company bodied Sport Roadster. Priced at over $5,000 the Locke and Company body had an unusual disappearing top and a unique folding arm rest. Only 15 of this body style were ever produced.
This sporty roadster was created by Locke & Company for Lincoln to debut in the 1930 auto shows in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. The catalog of custom bodies listed its special features including the disappearing top, which is completely hidden under the rear cowl when put down and an armrest in the center of the front seat - very unusual for the time. It also sports a rumble seat and golf door.
The car was seen and ordered at the Chicago show and delivered to a prominent doctor in February of that year. Only 15 of this model were produced, this being #13-4 type 5000, model 191 and engine #62161. Number 13 was the body tag designation for Locke and #4 was its production number of the 15 made. That makes this the oldest survivor of the three remaining Locke Sport Roadsters.
The current owners are the fourth owners - and they purchased the car in 1978. The car was restored by the owner's father who enjoyed doing it as a hobby.Also photographed at :