The Silver Ghost was produced for many years, lasting until 1922. In 1925 the New Phantom was introduced and it was given an improved Ghost chassis. Two years later, work began on the Phantom II which would have several major advances in both design and mechanics, despite several superficial similarities. It was launched in 1929 and featured a new chassis design that utilized semi-elliptic rear suspension in place of the cantilever setup found on the Phantom I. The PII had improved steering and brakes and a wider rear track. The engine and gearbox were now unit construction for the first time. The cast-iron cylinder head was replaced with a lightweight aluminum head.
The Phantom II was available on two platforms, one that measured 144-inches and a larger 150-inch setup. The 144-inch platform was available on special order and was later chosen for the Continental models introduced in late 1930. This special model was tuned for high-speed, long-distance traveling by automotive enthusiasts who appreciated style and energetic touring. The Continental models were given stiffer five-leaf road springs and friction shock absorbers and low rake steering. In the rear of the car could be found the spare wheels, tools and luggage space which was designed to better improve the cars weight distribution.
Chassis 82PY was sent to its original owner, C.T. Thomas Esq., in April of 1934. It would have three more owners through 1949, after which it was sent to the United States in the early 1950s. It entered the care of Fred Prophet. By 1964, it was owned by Robert Valpey of San Luis Obispo, California, who had purchased it from James C. Brown of Belmont, California. While in Mr. Valpey's care, it was given engine X055 from chassis 75MW, and other restoration work was performed. The car remained with Mr. Valpey until 1976, when ownership was transferred to Barry Hon, who kept the car for a decade before selling it to its last US owner Stu Bewley. Mr. Bewley showed the car at the 1986 Pebble Beach COncours d'Elegance.
The next owner purchased the car with the engine removed. A comprehensive rebuild began a short time later, including some cosmetic repair. There were only 15 three-position Sedancas built by Gurney Nutting. This example is finished in Midnight Blue cellulose and has a tan leather interior. There are twin pillar-mounted Grebel spotlights, twin spare wheels, and polished wheel discs and sun visor.
In 2009, this Gurney Nutting Owen Sedanca Three-Position Drop Head was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $400,000 - $500,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $352,000 including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :