In 1936, Sydney Allard founded the Allard Motor Company in England. He was a racer who got into commercial auto production as a way to provide support for his sports pursuits. In total, the company produced 1,900 cars before closing in 1959.
After the close of World War II, Allard saw the potential of the United States market and proceeded to build 12 J2s in 1946 followed by 90 starting in 1950. Many of the cars were shipped to the United States without engines and then fitted with powerplants to the customer's specifications. Most were given a Ford flat-head V8, but some were also built with Cadillac and Chrysler engines. The car rode on a 100 inch wheelbase and weighed in at 1700 pounds. J2X production finished the series in 1954. Allard J2 and J2Xs dominated American sports car racing in the early 1950s.
A major feature of the Allard was the deDion rear end fabricated from light steel tubing and a Ford 'banjo' center section. This gave the Allards a form of independent rear suspension years ahead of the competition.
This example was raced in the United States and Argentina as the 'Bar Leak Special.' The current owner purchased the car over five decades ago.