The Maserati brothers, Alferi Maserati, Bindo Maserati, Carlo Maserati, Ettore Maserati, Enesto Maserati and Mario Maserati, loved automobiles. Alfieri, Bindo and Ernesto built 2-liter Grand Prix cars for Diatto. In 1926, Diatto suspended the prodution of race cars, leading to the creation of Maserati. One of the first Maseratis, driven by Alfieri, own the 1926 Targa Florio. Maserati began making race cars with 4, 6, 8 and 16 cylinders (actually two straight eights mounted parallel to one another). Mario, an artist, is believed to have devised the company's trident emblem, from the Fontana del Nettuna, Bologna.
In 1937 the Maserati brothers sold their company to the Adolfo Orsi family. In 1968, it was purchased by Citroen. In 1975 Alessandro de Tomaso, a former racing driver from Argentina, had arranged for the Benelli motorcycle company, which he controlled, to buy Maserati from Citroen and install him as its head. 1993 saw the company acquired by Fiat. In 1997, Fiat sold 50% share in the company to Maserati's long-time arch-rival Ferrari. In 1999 Ferrari took full control, making Maserati its luxury division.
Zagato was invited by Maserati to design coachwork for the A6G/2000 model, and they produced 20 beautiful coupes, one of which is this example. All aluminum bodied cars, the A6G/2000 Zagato-bodied Maserati sold for $8,900 and was produced from 1955-1957.Also photographed at :