When the A6G/54 was introduced, many believed that this new car was simply a coach-built variation of the successful A6GCS sports racer. In reality, it was a road-going sport car that shared its basic underpinnings with the A6GCS. The A6G/54 was powered by a 160 horsepower six-cylinder engine, powerful four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, and a four-speed manual gearbox with synchromesh. The coachwork was available from Zagato, Frua and Allemano, each coming in their own distinct style and purpose. The Zagato built cars were purpose-built road-racers; the Frua-bodied examples were elegant, extravagant, and fashion statements. The Allemano cars were sophisticated, subdued and luxurious. In total, there were 21 examples of the Allemano cars produced.
The original owner of this example was Sig. Giulio Dubbini of Padua, Italy. This car, the fifth example bodied by Allemano, was delivered on November 27, 1956, and carried a price of 3,034,000 lire. It was originally finished in Verde Suro (Mackerel Green) with a green interior, and the same livery it sports today.
In the mid-1970s, the A6G/54 was exported to Canada where it remained for over a decade before returning to continental Europe. The current owner purchased the car in 2001 and imported it to the United States.
Between 2002 and 2006, a comprehensive cosmetic and thorough mechanical restoration was performed on the car. Prior to the work, the car was wearing a red paint scheme. After the restoration, the car was returned to its original, factory-delivered color scheme.
In 2010, this rare Maserati was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $375,000 - $450,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $429,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.