This is an original California Speedster that was raced extensively in Northern California in the 1950s and 1960s as part of Harry Weber's team. Weber was sent to the United States by the Porsche factory to train the mechanics to work on Carrera engines. After finishing its race career and losing the original engine, the car was stored for a number of years. After being discovered, it was painted black and fitted with a pushrod engine.
The third owner drove it for 25 years transporting it with him all over the United States as his job took him from California to New York to Philadelphia to Virginia.
In 2002, the decision was made to find a four-cam Carrera engine. An engine was found that was only four serial numbers from the original engine. The engine was rebuilt by Bill Doyle. Much time was spent finding an original Nardi steering wheel and restoring many original parts. Gary Kempton was selected for the bare metal restoration and the car was returned to original Polyantha Red. This restoration was completed in time to be shown at the 50th Anniversary of the Speedster in Carmel, California, in 2004. The car is pictured in the Speedster Book.
There were only 141 Speedsters produced with only 58 in 1957.Also photographed at :