The Lincoln Zephyr was introduced in 1936 and given its name and styling after the streamlined Burlington Zephyr express train (which in turn was named after Zephyrus, the god of the West Wind in Greek mythology). The styling was courtesy of Dutch-born designer John Tjaarda who was employed at the Briggs Body Corporation. The streamlined body was lightweight and elegant. Before production began, Bob Gregorie restyled the original front end design.
Lincoln's 1941 lineup consisted of three model groups; the series 15H 1941 Lincoln Zephyr, the Continental Coupe and cabriolet (now bearing appropriate badges), and the 138 inch wheelbase Series 168H Custom sedan and limousine.
The Zephyr had unibody construction and a 292 cubic-inch 12-cylinder engine that produced 120 horsepower. The four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes provided adequate stopping. In 1941 several styling changes were introduced that included minor changes to bumpers, grilles, and headlamp rims. The parking lights now were on top of the front fenders, where they doubled as turn signals and the hood release was moved from the hood ornament to inside the cabin.
There were minor suspension modifications, including longer, wider springs that gave slower ride motions. Convertibles acquired electrically powered top mechanisms, and a new deluxe radio with a foot switch for changing stations became available at extra cost.
Another new option was Borg-Warner overdrive, an alternative to the two-speed Columbia rear axle offering since 1936. Total production in 1941 was 14,469 cars of all body types. Only 972 were 3 passenger coupes. The Zephyr stayed in production until 1942.