'The Best Car in the World' - a claim first made in 1911 was bolstered by a Silver Ghost covering 14,371 miles nonstop, except for Sundays, without any problems. This Rolls-Royce was originally a Derby trials car and then used for the 'London Open Trials.' It is believed the car remained at the Rolls-Royce factory as a test car for an extended period. The first owner of the car took possession in 1912, around a year after it had been built.
The car was sent to the Rolls-Royce Conduit Street showroom, where it received styled Torpedo coachwork from Barker, as well as detachable Vinet rim wheels and nickel fittings throughout. The vehicle was pained in grey with dark green leather. The first owner was R.G. Reid of the Bank of Montreal, who took delivery in May of 1912. The car was used for two years before it was sent back to Bakers for new bodywork. It was given formal 'Limousine Landauelt' coachwork which was more suitable for chauffeured driving.
By 1954, the car was in the ownership of Mr. Gordon E. Smith of the Orillia, Ontario area. In the mid-1970s, the car was discovered as a complete rolling chassis by Mr. Joe Loecy, who had earlier purchased another Silver Ghost, chassis 53 MA, from Mr. Reid. Millar Newman acquired 1797 and was able to find a correct period-style body from a Thomas Flyer having coachwork by F.R. Wood. The car passed through several more owners before coming into the car of Mr. Bill Haines in 1988. Mr. Haines treated the car to an extensive cosmetic restoration. In 2003, the car was purchased by John O'Quinn.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estiamted to sell for $350,000 - $500,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $506,000, including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :