This 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Berlinetta Le Mans is chassis number 0066M and fitted with engine number 0066M. It was completed on June 14th of 1959 and would remain with Ferrari for about a year. In December of 1950, Anteo Allazetta of Trieste purchased the car from the factory. When it left the Modena factory, it was fitted with a single carburetor, but, like most 166 models, it was converted to a three-carburetor setup in 1950, as most of Ferrari's customers planned to use the cars in competition.
0066M was used by Allazetta in the Trieste-Opicina Hillclimb on June 21st of 1953, where the car took first in class and fourth place overall. On July 12th of 1953, the car raced at the Coppa d'Oro delle Dolomiti where Allazetta took fifth place overall and second in class. At the 1954 Trieste-Opicina Hillclimb, the 166 took fifth place overall and fourth in class.
Chinetti Motors imported the car in 1958 to the United States, and sold it to David Francis Leopold. A year later, it was purchased by George Smith of Cincinnati, Ohio, who sold the car to Donald Williams in 1961. Three other Midwestern owners would purchase the car over the next few years. Fred Leydorf, a past president of the Ferrari Club of America, became the car's next care-taker, a duty he would serve for the next eight years. While in his care, the car was well preserved and several components were carefully refurbished. The engine was rebuilt and the car was treated to a complete restoration.
In 1972, 0066M was sold to John R. Bond of California and the publisher of Road & Track magazine. It would be featured on the cover of Road & Track in the late 1970s, along with Bond's 166 MM Barchetta. Also, while in the care of Mr. Bond, the interior was restored to its original condition, being refinished in brown corduroy.
In 1984, Tohru Horinouchi purchased the car from Mr. Bond and imported it to Yokohama, Japan. The current owner, who also owns its sister car 0020M, purchased the car in January of 1999.
This car features sliding Plexiglas side windows and an engine that has been bored out to the larger displacement 195S specification. With the help of the three Weber 36 DCF carburetors, the mighty SOHC 12-cylinder engine produces 170 horsepower. There is a five-speed manual transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. It has its original hand-beaten aluminum coachwork, engine, gearbox and rear axle.
The car was shown at the 1999 Palm Beach Cavallino Classic VIII and the Goodwood Festival in 2000. Since that time, it has been given a four-year restoration that has left it in exception condition throughout.
In 2008, this 166MM LeMans Berlinetta was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, California where it was estimated to sell for $1,500,000 - $2,000,000. The lot was sold for $2,200,000, including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :
Seven 166MM Touring Berlinetta were produced by Ferrari, of which only five were Le Mans Berlinettas, named for Ferrari's victory in a 166MM at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Ferrari 166s won both Le Mans and the Mille Miglia, achieving tremendous racing success and giving birth to the Ferrari racing legend. This Mille Miglia Le Mans Berlinetta was first owned and raced by Scuderia Ferrari and experienced a very successful and well-documented racing career. Chassis 0066M was bored out to the larger 195S specification engine by the factory in the period. The distinctive streamlined body, designed and constructed by Carrozzeria Touring in Milan, used a lightweight 'Superleggera' tubular structure. This car remains remarkably authentic, retaining its original hand-beaten aluminum coachwork, the original engine, gearbox and rear axle.