Starting in 1949 and continuing through 1957, Moretti cars have had a long and exciting history of participation in the Mille Miglia. This car, a Moretti 1500 Freccia d'Oro, is powered by a Moretti designed and built 1500 cc, 4-cylinder, twin cam, twin plug, twin carburetor and twin distributor motor. It has both body and tubular chassis by Moretti. The four-speed transmission is Fiat 1100. This car was one of three cars specially ordered and built in 1955-1956 by Moretti for the 1500cc class by an Argentinean group who wanted to compete against Maserati 150S and OSCA 1500, among others. This is the third car built: #001 went to Argentina and was never paid for, but destroyed/crashed; #002 and #003 were bought by the Trustee for Moretti's bankruptcy as an independent constructor in the 1960s. Moretti survived several more years as a carrozzeria or body designer/coachbuilder, mostly for Fiat.
A lawyer bought the car from the Trustee, and the current owner purchased it from him. It is the only one known to exist. The car was in the most original condition imaginable. With the exception of new paint and an engine rebuild, the car is the same ready-to-race condition as it was when built.Also photographed at :