Ettore Bugatti built automobiles of uncompromised elegance and sporting competence from 1911 to 1939. He was a mildly eccentric individual and an utterly brilliant Italian engineer; his automobiles were temperamental, technically complex and very expensive.
Though he clung to mechanical brakes, he experimented with aerodynamics and the use of lightweight metals such as magnesium. During the early 1930s, as the luxury automobile market dwindled, Ettore and his son Jean went to the extreme by producing a very special model - the Type 57. The Atalante bodystyle was designed by Jean Bugatti and was a slightly larger, more comfortable production Grand Tourer fitted to the Type 57 chassis. The name was sourced from Atalanta, the huntress and princess of ancient Greek mythology who swore she would only marry a man who could run fast enough to catch her.
Bugatti produced around forty examples of the Atalantes on the standard Type 57, and the slightly shorter, low-slung, sporty Type 57S chassis before World War II broke out.
This example was delivered in September of 1937. This example was one of the last of 17 to be fitted with factory built black Atalante coupe coachwork. It was completed on February 28,1 938, and delivered to England the following month for its first owner, Dr. J.R. Scott of Surbiton, in whose name it was registered EXK 5 on April 6, 1938. It passed through the hands of several British owners until it was added to the Seydoux Collection in Paris in 1986. After returning to England, it was exported to the United States in 1993. In 1996, it received a restoration to its original color scheme of black and yellow accents. The car has been shown at the Pebble Beach Concours where it placed second in its class. In 2005 it was acquired by its current owner.
A unique feature of the Type 57S was its solid-appearing front axle which actually split in the center, allowing independent operation. 1937 was also the final year that Bugatti used cable-operated brakes. The engine was a 3.3liter 16-valve dual overhead cam straight-eight engine featuring a 'V' radiator. The engine produced 170 horsepower. Vehicles fitted with the optional supercharger were called the Type 57SC. The DeRam frictional/hydraulic shock absorbers adjusted to varied road conditions.
Many people consider the Type 57S as the ultimate road-going Bugatti.Also photographed at :