After moving from Canada to the United States in 1957, 24 year-old Lew Dawes and his wife Joan started their own car company, LaDawri Coachcraft. The LaDawri Conquest was designed in the Vancouver British Columbia area in 1956 by Les A. Dawes and first showed in the Pacific International Exhibition in 1956 as the Cavalier. Within a year, the car, family and company moved to Long Beach, California, where production began and the car debuted on the front cover of Road and Track magazine in July of 1957. The Conquest was soon followed by other size models of the car as well as different models being offered such as the Daytona, Sebring, and Del Mar.
The body itself is fiberglass, designed to take a wheelbase of 100 to 104 inches and a tread of 56 to 58 inches, which covers Corvettes, Thunderbirds and the like of the day. LaDawri continued producing both cars and kits from 1957 through 1965 when operations ceased.
Les suggested purchases build their cars on 1950s Henry J chassis with the right 100-inch wheelbase, this 2,100 pound car features a 455 Olds V8 mounted far to the rear in its late 1970s shortened GM chassis giving it a true mid-front engine layout.Also photographed at :