In 1954, confronted with Ferrari's 500 Mondial competition, Maserati decided it was time to replace the excellent but ageing A6G series of cars. It settled on a four-cylinder approach in the interests of simplicity and lightness, and quickly settled on a deDion rear suspension design to replace the live axles of the earlier design. The car debuted in August of 1955, driven by Jean Behra.
Maserati settled on a two-pronged approach, building the 150S and the 200S simultaneously. The only differences were in the bodywork and the engine size (1.5 and 2-liter); mechanically the cars are identical. In the late 1950's Maserati remanufactured a group of 2-liter engines as 2.5-liter units and cars with that engine became the 250S. Several of these engines were shipped to the US, where they replaced the smaller units.
This car was originally a 150S, raced by Frenchman Claude Bourillot. He placed 9th overall and 2nd in class at LeMans in 1956. The car was later sold to the US, where it was raced on the west coast, eventually getting a 2.5-liter engine. The car was returned to England for restoration, where it was fitted with Type 200S bodywork. It is thus a 150/200/250S.Also photographed at :