The Allard J2, J2X and JR racing variants, with their high-powered American V-8 engines were very significant factors in American and road racing in the early 1950's on both coasts.
This Allard J2X was delivered to Alan Patterson in July of 1952. The car is still owned by Mr. Patterson and continues to be exercised regularly at venues such as the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, and (as of a few weeks ago) the Monaco Grand Prix.
The J2X was an extended version of the J2 and introduced in late 1951. The handling was improved by redesigning the front suspension's rear attaching links with forward ones. This change required extended the nose past the front wheels. The engine was moved forward resulting in more cockpit room. The nose on the J2 models does not extend past the front tires and has two vents below the grille. The J2X models usually have just a single vent below the grille.Also photographed at :