The Hudson Motor Car Company came into existence in 1909 and produced vehicles until 1957. It was created by Howard Coffin, George W. Dunham, and Roy E. Chapin. Based in Detroit, Michigan, the company had it most successful year in 1929 when it produced and sold over 300,000 vehicles. From 1942 through 1945, the Hudson Corporation did its patriotic part by manufacturing war materials such as naval engines and aircraft parts, during the Second World War. After the war, the Company had its share of ups and downs before it merged with Nash Motors in January of 1954, when it became known as American Motors. The Hudson plant closed while the production of Nash vehicles bearing Hudson badges continued. The brand name ceased to exist after 1957.
The Hudson Motor Company enjoyed much success in its younger years. It ranked in the top five of the automobile industry until 1930. Its inexpensive four-cylinder Essex was credited for much of the companies success. The Hudson marque lacked a eight-cylinder engine, and as more marque's were upping the ante, Hudson decided to enter the race. In 1930 they introduced the Hudson Eight, a name suitable for the vehicle. The cars were elegantly styled and backed by a potent power plant. For 1936 performance improved even further with the introduction of hydraulic brakes for the first time on the Eight.
This 1936 Hudson Custom Eight Convertible Coupe was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held at Meadow Brook. It was offered without reserve and estimated to sell for $120,000 - $160,000. It is the recipient of an 11 year restoration and is one of only six known survivors. It is finished in Glacier Blue exterior with a brown interior. Standard equipment includes large wheel covers, 'banjo style' steering wheel, radio with under-the-running-board antenna, and a cigar lighter. Optional equipment included on this car includes fender mounted parking lights, electric clock and the 'Electric Hand' vacuum-electric transmission control system. There are disappearing roll-down wind wings and a L-head eight-cylinder engine that displaces 254 cubic-inches and produces over 110 horsepower.
This car has won an AACA President's Cup award, Best in Class at Meadow Brook, and an AACA Grand National 1st Place award. It recently won a Platinum Award for Pre-War Vintage 1925-1942 Automobiles at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance.
At auction this elegant beauty was rewarded by a selling price of $181,500 after buyer's premium.Also photographed at :
Founded in 1908, the Hudson Motor Company enjoyed great success as one of America's leading manufacturers in its early years. Hudson's reputation was based on the solid and reliable Six and Super Six models during the 1920's. When, in response to a trend towards engines of straight eight-cylinder configuration, Hudson introduced the appropriately named Hudson Eight in 1930, Hudson's reputation for performance continued. in 1935, Hudson introduced hydraulic brakes for the first time on its Eight. One of only six known survivors, this Series 65 Hudson Custom Eight has 113 hp, a 254 cubic-inch L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, Carter 330S carburetor, radial safety control front suspension and semi-rear floating rear axle, four-wheel Duo-Serve hydraulic brakes and a wheel base of 120 inches.
The standard equipment found only on the Custom Eight series includes the large wheel covers, a banjo style steering wheel, a radio with under-the-running-board antenna, and a cigar lighter. This Convertible Coupe also sports various optional equipment including fender mounted parking lights, an electric clock and the 'Electric Hand' vacuum-electric transmission control system. It also features the disappearing roll-down wind wings. Complimenting these features is the Glacier Blue exterior and detailed brown interior. A rare survivor, this Hudson Custom Eight has been restored to concours condition.