Top of the Line Auburn for 1911 The Auburn Automobile Company of Auburn, Indiana was founded in 1903 by Frank and Morris Eckhart, sons of a successful carriage maker. The automobiles produced by the young brothers soon gained a loyal following and by 1909 they were able to build a foundry and machine works to facilitate manufacturing of their Auburn cars.
The Model N Touring of 1911 was the largest Auburn built by its manufacturer up to that time. It was powered by a 40 horsepower engine with a displacement of 318 cubic-inches. The transmission was the sliding gear type with three speeds forward and one reverse.
The 1911 Auburn catalog described the Model N as 'This car will find favor among the buyer who wants nothings but the best. For comfort, classy appearance and durability, it is preeminently the car for road service.'
Priced at $1,750.00 new, the Model N Auburn was nearly three times the price of a new Model T Ford and was one of 1,203 automobiles produced by Auburn during the 1911 model year.
The 'Forty Series' Model N Touring Car was Auburn's top-of-the-line offering for 1911 and was the largest automobile that the company had produced up to that time. It rides on a 120-inch wheelbase, and features three-quarter elliptic springs for extra passenger comfort. The factory list price was $1,750. This Model N is powered by a rare four-cylinder engine built by Reeves of Columbia, Indiana. During this era, most Auburns were equipped with engines sourced from Rutenber of Logansport, Indiana, but about 100 Auburns used the Reeves engine. This impressive engine features separate cast-iron cylinder liners and a crankcase formed by two cast horizontal sections. The transmission is the sliding gear type with three forward speeds plus reverse. Standard equipment included two gas headlamps, two side oil lamps, tools, and a horn. This example is one of only four surviving 1911 Auburn automobiles.Also photographed at :
This car was at the top of the Auburn range in 1911, priced at $1,750. With a new 40 horsepower engine the Model N was the first Auburn to be offered with two front doors, which was unusual for the period. This model is the five-passenger Touring version and is painted in the optional Auburn dark blue of the time. There were four body styles available. Of the 1,250 Model Ns built, just four are known to survive today. Three are in private hands and one is at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Indiana.
This model N is one of four remaining in the world and was the first 40 HP Auburn. 1911 was the first year for a 4-door touring car and the model N was the top of the line in 1911.
The wheel base was increased from 112 inches to 120 inches over previous models.