The Abbott-Detroit Company was formed in 1909 and built cars in Detroit until 1916. The Abbott-Detroit was known as an 'assembled' car, meaning it was built using already made components that were currently being offered to automobile manufactures.
Most Abbot-Detroit vehicles were built using Continental four and six cylinder engines, which were considered to be the most durable and reliable automobile engines of the period. To promote their automobile, the company engaged its vehicles in a variety of speed and endurance competitions. The most adventurous publicity stunt was a 100,000 mile trek made by Dr. Charles G. Percival, who drove an Abbott-Detroit touring car around the borders of the United States and from coast to coast three times. Abbott-Detroit also won the stock class in the 1910 Fairmont Park race in Philadelphia and made a successful showing in the 1911 Vanderbilt Cup race.
This 1912 Model 44 touring car uses the four cylinder, Continental long-stroke engine that was rated at 44 to 50 horsepower. It features an electric starter as well as electric lighting, which was unusual for a 1912 automobile. It is one of only six to eight Model 44 Abbott-Detroit vehicles known to exist and sold for approximately $2,000 when it was new.
Shortly after this car's restoration in the late 1940s and early 1950s a rod failure destroyed the engine and it was put into storage for 50 years. The present owners purchased the car and were fortunate to find another engine. Parts from three engines were used to make this one run.Also photographed at :