The Jaguar Company, started by William Lyons in 1922, began as the Swallow Sidecar Company. It initially offered small cars based on the Austin Seven. By 1933 the name had changed to SS Cars, and larger, sportier cars were being built. Always an excellent value, the SS 100 was the car to have in the late 1930s. Capable of going over 100 mph and going from zero-to-sixty in 10.5 seconds, it revolutionized the sports car market. This 3.5-liter SS 100 has been owned by Henry Petronis for over 40 years and is typical of the cars that led to Jaguar's enviable reputation throughout the fifties and sixties - affordable, fast, reliable sports cars that took on the world in sports car racing and won.
This SS 100 3.5-liter roadster was constructed in January of 1939, near the close of the limited 118-example run of the pre-war 3 1/2 Liter Jaguar. Today, the car retains its original engine. When it left the factory, it was finished in Pillar Box Red with red upholstery. The car was dispatched on January 28th of 1939 and distributed through Henlys Limited of London to its first owner.
By the 1960s, the car was in California. By that time, it was finished in black over red leather, equipped with leather hood straps and even external exhaust routing. It was around that time, the car came into the care of Mr. Petronis. It was enjoyed for a period of time in its unrestored state. Later, it was given a full restoration. The chassis was stripped and painted in its original red, as were the axles, springs, shock absorbers and steering components. The exterior was painted in British Racing Green. Trimmed with red leather and a black canvas top, the car currently wears the quintessential colors for the model.
In 2007, the freshly restored car was brought to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, followed by the St. Michaels Concours in Maryland. Recently, the car was sold to a California collector of sport and racing cars. In 2011, it was sold to a collector in Florida.
The 3485cc single overhead cam six-cylinder engine is fitted with two SU carburetors and offers 125 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel Girling Mechanical drum brakes.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company in Amelia Island, Florida. The car was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $450,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $462,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :