The Echidna specials were designed and built in Hibbing, Minnesota as a team of three cars by John Staver, Ed Grierson and Bill Larson. The #64 was completed in 1958 and was raced that year by John Staver as a C Modified, powered by a 283 cubic-inch (4660cc) Chevrolet V8 engine. In 1959, the #64 Echidna's engine was replaced with a bored and stroked 339 cubic-cinch Chevrolet V8, and the car was raced as a B Modified. The two remaining Echidnas were completed in 1959 and raced that season as C Modifieds. In their first three seasons of racing, the Echidna team started 35 races and collected 25 first-in-class victories, eight of which were overall wins. The #64 Echidna, driven by John Staver, won the 1959 SCCA National B Modified Championship.
The frame is a modified 1956 Chevy Sedan frame, fitted with custom cast finned drum brakes all around and clothed in a fiberglass Devin body.
John Staver sold the car in late 1960 to Dr Richard Gaard, who owned it for ten years. During that time it was frequently raced by Jerry Hansen.
The Echidnas were known as fast and dependable cars that relied on practical design, refitted Chevrolet parts and ingenuity rather than on the more common keys to racing success-technology and cash.
John Staver sold the #64 car in late 1960 to Dr. Richard Gaard, who owned the car for ten years. During that time it was frequently raced by Jerry Hansen.Also photographed at :