Construction for this car began in 1951 by Myron Stevens for H.A. Chapman. Chapman and Stevens had words, so the car was moved to Frank Kurtis' shop to be finished by Art Simms (Chapman's chief mechanic) and driver Bill Schindler. The car ran in the 1952, 1953, and 1954 Indy 500s finishing 14th, 8th, and 18th respectively.
In 1958 Harry Hyde and Orville Brown purchased the car. With Murray Baird's assistance, they made it into a super-modified car. Andy Hampton piloted it for three years, winning one Championship.
In 1961 it was converted to a sprint and raced in Indiana & Kentucky. In 1962, Dave and Paul Fetter bought the car and used the front axle, steering and rear assembly for Gordon Johncock. The body and frame were sold to Dave Lapsey.
In 1989 Joe Baird bought the car and spent five years restoring it to its present condition. A.J. Watson, Grant King, Jerry Weeks, Steve Stapp, Steve Long, Jackie Hawerton, Bob Metx, and Buster Warker helped Baird in the restoration.
In September 1996 the car became part of the current owners collection.Also photographed at :