Jaguar began in 1922 as the Swallow Sidecar Co., Ltd. Sir William Lyons - a motorcycle sidecar manufacturer, had ambitions to move up to cars. In 1927, he used his skills to make bodies for Austin Sevens as the Swallow Coachbuilding Co., Ltd., of Coventry, England. 1931 marked the beginning of SS cars. The SS cars were built on Swallow-designed frames to 'lower the standing height as much as possible,' as Sir Williams put it many years later.
This example represents the second Series SS ONE and is the final configuration of this design. These cars were derided for having a long bonnet but a feeble engine; however, the price was about one-third the cost of a similarly styled Bentley.
The SS moniker disappeared in 1936, and the company changed its name to Jaguar Cars.