This car was delivered new to Texan racer Alan Connel in 1962. In the very early 1990s it was sold into UK ownership. It was owned by J.C. Ferguson Jr. of Louisiana from 1965 through 1967. While in his care, it was used in minor events. Ownership then passed to Jack Lane of Houston who re-bodied the car with aluminum. From 1967 through 1974, it was in the care of Chuck Haines of St. Louis. From 1974 through 1976 it belonged to Bruce Langson of Houston, Texas. Howard Eichenbaum of Little Rock, Arkansas purchased the car in 1976, only to resell it two years later. Bud Ogle of Mansfield, Texas purchased it in 1978 and kept it until 1990.
Peter Bloore Raceparts of the UK owned the car from 1990-1998. John Harper purchased it in 1998 and began a two-year restoration which brought it back to the original Alan Connell specification. It is now fitted with a 2.5-liter Climax engine and five-speed transaxle. It is painted in dark blue livery with white number roundels.
The engine has only been put through its paces on one occasion - the 2006 Goodwood Revival Meeting, where it placed third overall. Needless to say, it is a very capable car that is in pristine condition.
The Cooper Monaco series were introduced for the 1959 racing season. The Cooper-Climax 'Bobtail' Sports Cars were shown in 1955, featuring a seat positioned in the center of the cockpit, and most were fitted with all-enveloping bodywork. They did well during the 1955 and 1956 seasons. They were followed by an open-wheeled, single-seat Formula 2 car. Power was from a 1500cc Climax engine. Further improvements lead to a Formula 1 car, with Jack Brabham driving the works car during the 1957 season. The small, 1.96-liter car held its own against the larger 2.5-liter F1 cars during the Monaco Grand Prix. For 1958, a Cooper-Climax monoposto with an enlarged engine, driven by Maurice Trintignant, won the Monaco Grand Prix. To celebrate this accomplishment, the new sports-racing Cooper-Climax was dubbed the 'Monaco.' Jack Brabham would skillfully pilot the marque's car to a second consecutive victory at Monaco and capture the Formula 1 World Championship in 1959.
The first version of the Monaco featured a short chassis. The 1960-1961 version had changes to the bodywork and to the dimensions. It was given a longer-wheelbase and a multi-tubular frame. The suspension was re-worked with coil-springs and telescopic shock absorbers. The Owen Maddock designed body became sleeker.
Many of the Monaco's were fitted with four-cylinder Climax FPF engines. Sizes included 2.0, 2.5, and 2.7-liters. Many of the cars sent to the United States, in true Detroit fashion, were given V8 engines from Ford and GM. Even Carroll Shelby got in on the action, equipping his factory team with Ford V8-engined 'King Cobras.'
The original owner of this car was Alan Connell of Fort Worth, Texas. It sold for £1,650 and was equipped with a Climax FPF engine. While in his care, the car was campaigned in both 2.9 and 2.5-liter Climax form.
It was brought to Sebring in 1963 but its 2.5-liter Climax engine failed. Mechanic Adrian Flores fitted a small-block Chevrolet V8 engine in its place and apparently powered the rear wheels through the Cooper C5S gearbox. Wider wheels were added which required the wheel arches to become flared. The nose was enlarged to accommodate the intake for the radiator.
In 2007 it was brought to Carmel, California where it was offered for sale at Bonhams auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia, and sold for $232,000 plus premiums and taxes.