Development work began on an all-new Aston Martin in 1956, running concurrently with the DB2-derived DB Mark III, which was produced in 1959. The new car was dubbed the DB4 and introduced at the Paris Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. With 'Superleggera' construction and styling by Touring of Milan, it was immediately popular. Mounted up-front was an all-new engine designed by Tadek Marek, the Polish-born engineer who became synonymous with Aston Martin engine design and engineering. The chassis was designed by Harold Beach and was more rigid than its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. At all four corners were Dunlop disc brakes (later replaced with Girling discs).
The dual overhead camshft engine displaced 3670cc and was constructed from aluminum. It offered 240 bhp in standard tune with its dual SU carburetors. 0-100-0 mph was achieved in less than 30 seconds.
Although the factory did not distinguish between the various versions of the DB4, today there are generally categorized in five series. The Series II had a switch to front-hinged bonnet, as the car's high-speed capabilities had the Series I (on occasion) to catch the wind with predictable results. Other improvements included a two-pint increase in oil capacity to address high-speed overheating and enlarged brake calipers. Series III brought separate tail lamps on a polished aluminum plate, dual bonnet stays, an electric tachometer and other interior improvements. Series IV cars introduced the highly desirable overdrive unit availability, rendering the four-speed gearbox truly expressway capable for the first time. They also had a revised grille with seven fine vertical elements, a lower-profile hood scoop and a recessed tail lamp mounting. Both of these improvements were carries over to the succeeding DB5 models.
This Aston Martin DB4 Coupe is a late-production example. It is a matching-numbers example with right-hand drive. It has overdrive and is finished in its original color combination of Black Pearl with Terra Cotta leather upholstery and tan carpeting. It was delivered new via Brooklands on February 15th of 1962 to Royal Navy Commander Simon Borrett of Norfolk. Years later, the car was exported to the United States and has remained in single-family ownership in Southampton, New York since the 1970s.
In the 1990s, the car was restored, which included an engine and gearbox rebuilding plus the addition of an oil cooler. The car has traveled 20,000 miles since the restoration.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auction's sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $250,000-$300,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $363,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.