The Duryea Company is remembered for its creation in 1893 of what is generally considered the first successful gasoline powered car built in the United States. Charles Duryea found inspiration in H.K. Sanks' gasoline engine at the Ohio State Fair, and in the early 1890s, his brother Frank completed assembly of their first single-cylinder engine. The engine offered four horsepower and was given a buggy-type body. The cylinder head extended rearward over the axle. The water-cooled engine had make-and-break electric ignition and a transmission comprised of bevel and spur gears operated by vertical movement of the steering tiller.
The newly built motorcar was given a successful test in Springfield, Massachusetts. The company's credibility and reputation continued to grow with racing victories at home and abroad. The Duryea Motor Wagon Company became the first American car company to move beyond 'demos and prototypes' into more substantial production.
In the late 1890s, the Duryea brothers went their separate ways. In March of 1900, Charles Duryea relocated to Pennsylvania, where he joined with Herbert Sternbergh, and organized the Duryea Power Company of Reading.
This 1901 Duryea Four-Wheeled Phaeton is powered by a three-cylinder engine offering 10 horsepower. There is a two-speed transmission and a wheelbase that measures 66 inches. Prior owners included George and Arlene Cairns, who won the AACA's W. Emmet Swigart Memorial Cup with it in 1994. In August 2006, the vehicle joined the John O'Quinn Collection.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $40,000-$60,000. Bidding exceeded those estimates, settling at $96,250, inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :