Walter Chrysler created the Plymouth division in 1928 as an attempt to provide an affordable option to the Chrysler family. The timing was perfect as the world was sinking into a Recession in the late 1920s and early 1930s. As a result, the Plymouth brand was the third bestselling make by 1931. Plymouth retained its popularity when this particular automobile, one of 28,433 Business Coupes produced, rolled off the Lynch Road Assembly Plant line in August of 1934.
At the time, the PE model was considered the best engineered car in its class, featuring independent front suspension, 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, a full pressured and filtered engine oil system, and rubber engine mounts (Floating Power) as standard equipment. Replacing the PD model, the PE wheelbase was lengthened to 114 inches and the six-cylinder engine offered 77 horsepower, an increase of 10%.
The base price of the PE was $595, although this particular unit listed for $720 when it was sold at the Johnson Motor Company in Memphis, TN.
This Plymouth Deluxe Business Coupe was built in August 1934 at Chryslers Lynch Road facility in Detroit, MI. It features several standard 'high price class' features not included on competitors comparable priced car, including independent front suspension and an all-steel constructed body. The Plymouth was sold new by Johnson Motors of Memphis, TN. It is painted the original Gunmetal Light Poly and has leather upholstery (a $6.00 option). The cost was only $595.
In 2003, a restoration began and was completed in 2008.
The engine is a 201.3 cubic-inch flathead Straight six that develops 77 horsepower. Production was 28,433 units.
Advertising slogan: 'Good Engineering Counts.'Also photographed at :