Marmon's parent company was founded in 1851, producing flour grinding equipment. Experimental automobile production began in 1902.
The Marmon 16 was produced for just three years, with a total production of some 400 cars. Marmon discontinued production in 1933 - the worst year of the Great Depression. During its short life, Marmon pioneered the use of the rear view mirror, V-16's and the use of aluminum in automobile manufacturing.
This vehicle wears LeBaron Body Number 123, has engine number 16-893, serial number 16-140-916, and body number 16-140-926. It has a 145-inch wheelbase and powered by the legendary aluminum V16 engine that weighed a mere 930 pounds.
The original price was $4,925 and the vehicle weighed 4,824 pounds. In 1933, the streamlined parking lamps were mounted on top of the front fenders.
The group-up restoration took 2 years and was completed in June of 2007. The restorers were fortunate to have purchased new original head gaskets when rebuilding the 16 cylinder engine, and installed new pistons and steel liners.
In 2010, this Marmon Sixteen Sedan was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $450,000 - $550,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had failed to sell after reaching a high bid of $350,000.Also photographed at :