The Maverick Sportster was created by engineer H. Sterling Gladwin. This fiberglass boat-tail speedster body weighed in at 210 pounds, and all but the first car were affixed to a massive 128-inch wheelbase modified Cadillac Eldorado frame, housing a 331 cubic-inch Cadillac motor. The 'turned copper' dash held Studebaker and Mercury instruments as well as a tach.
Glawin's personal car, the first of seven cars produced, came without doors, hood or deck. Louvered, removable access panels were mounted on the fenders. They were used for normal maintenance and to add fluids.
Before he built the second car, however, Galdwin modified #1 and gave it a hood and permanent body mounts. It was not an 'all weather' car since it never had a top or windshield wipers although plans called for such items as a top, doors and a rumble seat. Seven complete cars were sold during the company's tenure from 1952 to 1968, as well as an unspecified number of shells.
This example was the #1 car. It was attached to the 1940 LaSalle frame and originally had a flathead Cadillac motor. It was later updated with a hood and the same Eldorado motor as the rest of the cars. To date, it is the only example of the car that has surfaced.Also photographed at :