The Bentley 4 ½ came into existence to fill a void left by the 3-Liter and the 6.5-Liter variants. Production totaled 733 cars of all bodystyles. Only 54 cars were equipped with the famous supercharged engine.
The car displayed is one of six 4 ½ Liter W.O. Bentley RC series cars built by Knobby Clarke, the past manager of Bentley. The cars were built in 1936, after the Rolls-Royce and Bentley merger. Mr. Clarke personally assembled each of the six vehicles.
The RC series had the ultimate specs for the 4 ½ liter models, the results of lessons learned during the period 1925-1931. Heavier, non-twisting frames, differentials from the 6 ½ Liter, high numerical ratio steering boxes, wrap around (double shoe) brakes, finned drums and flame arresting carburetors.
The Bentley Drivers Club recognizes these cars as authentic Vintage Bentleys since all parts were designed and made before 1930. Its registration number in the Bentley Register is EMF 115. There are only four of these cars in existence.
Since the current owners acquired the car they have changed the front bearings, fabricated a trunk that swivels out of the way for filling the gas tank, wrapped the steering wheel with genuine English rope, fixed the original clock, fabricated stone guards for the headlights, and mounted Blockley tires.Also photographed at :