Following the introduction of the DB3 which was built solely for competition, the DB2 was developed into a true GT car, given occasional back seats, and renamed the DB2/4. The MK II debuted in 1956 with a new, upgraded 3-liter engine in both standard and uprated versions.
There were just 199 examples of the DB2/4 MK II built. This example was one of the few that had the upgraded, 165 horsepower Special Series engine installed from the factory. These engines are often referred to as the 'L' or 'L1' engines. They had larger valves and featured a higher-lift camshaft.
This car left the factory in the same color scheme that it wears today, a two-tone gray over red trim. It was dispatched from the factory on October 16, 1956, and destined for Paris where its original owner most likely resided. In 1996, the car was given a full restoration. In 2007, the car was entered in the Colorado Grand.
In 2010, this DB2/4 MK II was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $170,500, inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :